Construction has started on HLM Architecture’s All Saints High School scheme on the outskirts of Sheffield
The project combines and extends two schools – All Saints High School andSEN Seven Hills – linked together on the Sheffield Deer Park site, providing facilities for up to 1,400 students aged 11 to 16 years old.
Scheduled to complete in September 2011 the scheme features natural ventilation, green roofing and thermal modelling to optimise the building envelope’s u-values.
Nick Beecroft director of HLM Architects, said: ‘After a long consultation process, we are excited to be on-site and moving on with delivering the improved All Saints High School and Seven Hills.
‘Our vision has focused on creating a school with a warm welcoming atmosphere, an inspiring and enjoyable place to learn and teach, within a high quality environment.’
The project team includes: VINCI Construction UK, HLM Architects, services and structural engineer Mott MacDonald, quantity surveyor EC Harris, access consultant B3 Safety and Access, and CDM coordinator Walker Cotter Safety.
Key aspects of the design:
- New main entrance to serve both schools and community
- Separate traffic and pedestrian routes where possible
- Link new dining hall in Seven Hills with the existing dining in All Saints to integrate both schools
- Link existing Blocks A, B and C with a new extension to All Saints School
- Combined 6th form department for both schools
- Combined administration and staff areas for both schools
- New specialist teaching accommodation to be created in All Saints school
- External teaching spaces linked to internal classrooms where possible