London passengers at the soon-to-open Canning Town station may have more reason to put their faith in London Underground after a visit next week (3 February) by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Dr Peter Carey will look at work in progress on the Troughton McAslan- designed Jubilee Line extension station when he unveils a fragment from an 1860 battleship, hms Warrior. It was built on the nearby Thames Ironworks, which has stamped a strong identity on the area for more than a century: West Ham football club owes its nickname, The Hammers, to the foundry.
Dr Carey, himself an East Ender from Dagenham, will be accompanied by London Transport chairman Peter Ford and Jubilee Line Extension project director Hugh Doherty. The station, next to the sculpture site, is due to open in September.