Alan Phillips with Matthew Lloyd Architects are to design a £3.6 million upgrade of Wells Coates' 1936 Brighton icon, Embassy Court. The glass and concrete Modernist landmark, which developed from ideas used in the Lawn Road flats in Hampstead, comprises 72 dwellings. The architects will convert one flat into a permanent public museum of Wells Coates' interiors and furniture (developed by Jack Pritchard of Isokon fame). The remaining flats will be stripped back to the original structure.
Refurbishment will ensure that services (consultant Ove Arup) are true to the spirit of the original. The block incorporates an early form of passive solar gain ('sun parlours') which project from each flat. The block also includes penthouses, unknown in England at the time of construction. The client is a joint venture between Sanctuary Housing Association and the block's lessees' association.
Listed building and planning consent will be sought following a feasibility study now under way.