Chilling reminiscences of the Holocaust last weekend showed the past haunting the future. Another example is the main building and 380ha of grounds used for the Nuremberg rallies: they are currently the object of an Official Journal competition to find new uses. The centre was commissioned by Hitler, whose idea of a good building was in inverse proportion to his own stature. The great Congress Hall at the Rally Grounds - the rallies were designed by Albert Speer - was to be for congresses of 50,000. It is horseshoe-shaped, 300m long, 300m wide and 40m high, with a cantilever roof, never built, intended to cover the 170m by 160m courtyard. Designed by Ludwig and Franz Ruff, it was intended to be the Third Reich's answer to Rome's Colosseum.
Work began in 1935, using stone supplied by SS-owned quarries but stopped in 1942. Dead and, let's hope, buried.