Influential Edinburgh tutor Andrew Jackson died on 28 March. Last month, in the AJ's annual survey of the architectural profession, he came out top in the question: 'Which tutor has had the most influence on your life?'
Jackson was born in 1919 and brought up in Dunfermline. He saw service in the Second World War and went on to train as an architect at Edinburgh College of Art and what was then Heriot Watt College. After graduating he worked for the East Kilbride Corporation and, after a spell on his own, joined Reiach and Cowan Architects, for which he took charge of building the college of agriculture for the University of Edinburgh.
During this time he took part in nine competitions (both industrial design and architecture) and was premiated in them all. Jackson's design for the Roman Catholic Church in Liverpool earned him a commendation, and a winning proposal for a furniture design competition in 1948 brought him a two week trip to Denmark and Sweden. This trip was to have a lasting influence on his approach to architectural design.
Jackson began lecturing at Edinburgh College of Art in 1953, where he taught until his retirement 29 years later. Over the years he developed ideas that provided his students with a rational approach to structuring the design of buildings. He also put a great emphasis on the obligation of architects to create an environment that people could both enjoy and appreciate - through the proper handling of natural materials, the use of colour and the quality of light. His teaching become known outside Edinburgh and he taught briefly at the University of Virginia and the Oslo School of Architecture.
Jackson will be sorely missed; it is unlikely that we will see another teacher like him.