The RIBA has today unveiled the shortlists for its special awards, which will be presented at the Stirling Prize ceremony in London on 17 October.
The Crown Estate Conservation Award
The £5,000 first prize is handed to the best work of conservation demonstrating the successful restoration and/or adaptation of an architecturally significant building.
- St Martin-in-the-Fields, Eric Parry Architects and Caroe & Partners
- No 12 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, Julian Harrap Architects
- Tyneside Cinema, Fletcher Priest Architects and Cyril Winskell Architects
- Midland Hotel, Morecambe, Union North and Avanti Architects
- Bofors tower, private house, Allies and Morrison (pictured below)
RIBA/CABE Public Space Award
This £5,000 award celebrates publicly accessible external space, whether it is green or grey, urban or rural, privately or publicly owned, designed or redesigned and re-furbished for public use.
- New Street Square, Bennetts Associates
- 5 Aldermanbury Square, Eric Parry Architects (pictured below)
- Liverpool One masterplan, BDP
- Castleford Bridge, McDowell + Benedetti
Stephen Lawrence Prize
Sponsored by the Marco Goldschmied Foundation, the prize is awarded to the best projects with a construction budget of less than £1 million. The £5,000 prize is intended to encourage fresh talent working with smaller budgets.
- Long Barn Studio, Nicolas Tye Architects
- Deal Pier, Niall McLaughlin Architects
- ‘El Ray’ private house, Simon Conder Associates (pictured below)
- Hind House, John Pardey Architects
- House in Highgate Cemetery, Eldridge Smerin
The RIBA/Sorrell Foundation Schools Award
The £5,000 prize goes to the best RIBA Award-winning school (primary or secondary).
- Merchants’ Academy, Penoyre & Prasad
- The Minster School, Penoyre & Prasad
- St Mary Magdalene Academy, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Falmouth School Design and Technology Studio, Urban Salon (pictured below)
Client of the Year Award
The RIBA Client of the Year Award recognises the role good clients play in the delivery of fine architecture. Clients are nominated either by RIBA Awards Group judges or their architects.
- Laura Lee, Maggie’s Centre, London, by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
- Reverend Nicholas Holtam, St Martin-in the-Fields by Eric Parry Architects
- Roy MacGregor, Kentish Town Health Centre by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Rod Holmes (Grosvenor), Liverpool One masterplan by BDP(pictured below)
- Peter Sharpe, Kielder Observatory by Charles Barclay Architects