Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Affix is needed for non- practising architects

  • Comment

I have a regular subscription to the aj and have recently removed my name from the arb Register, as I do not wish to undertake professional liability insurance which is now a condition of being registered, but I intend to remain a member (formerly an associate) of the riba. I have also given up referring to myself as an architect. My occupation before retirement in 1988 was as a senior lecturer at Newcastle Polytechnic, teaching construction.

I am writing with regard to Sue Lindsey's article (aj 11.2.99), to query her statement that 'the present arrangements distinguish merely between those who pay to retain their name on the register and those who do not - to allow those who no longer wish to hold themselves out as practising to remove their name from the register would be a potential benefit to the public'.

Having discussed my personal situation with the riba, by telephone, at the time when the £50 annual premium was superseded by the £140pa premium, I cannot see what is to prevent any architect from writing to the arb to retire from the register and to pay no further fee to it. This is provided for in Section 3 (3) of the Architects Act 1997. One can continue to be a corporate member of the riba and to use the affix, provided one does not undertake any architectural work or other activities which the arb includes as allied to it.

The problem is, I suggest, not in the passage I have quoted above, but in the need for an affix which clearly distinguishes between a person, qualified as an architect, who remains on the arb register and is able and willing to practise as such, as complies with the requirements for professional liability insurance, cpd, etc, laid down by the arb, and one who has retired from the profession, as actively pursued, or has moved on to other activities, eg become a lawyer. Here I entirely agree with Sue Lindsey that a designation 'riba np' - presumably indicating 'non- practising' - or, putting it the other way round, 'riba pa' - indicating a 'practising associate' - is the answer.

G J Fisher, riba (retired)

Shotley Bridge, Co Durham

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs

AJ Jobs