A team featuring David Adjaye and Ron Arad has been named on the six-strong shortlist to design Canada’s new National Holocaust Monument in central Ottawa
Other finalists vying to land the comission to build the $4.5 million memorial close to the Canadian War Museum, include Gail Lord with Daniel Libeskind who was recently chosen to design the holocaust memorial in the state capital of Ohio in the US.
Edward Burtynsky, famed for his large-scale photographs, is also part of the Libeskind/Lord bid.
Designs by all six teams will go on display in February next year (2014).
The competition jury will recommend the winning design, with John Baird, Canada’s minister of foreign affairs and MP for Ottawa West-Nepean, expected to make the final choice.
Construction work is due to begin next summer and complete in autumn 2015.
- Irene Szylinger, art historian and curator with: David Adjaye, architect; Ron Arad, artist/architect (Toronto/UK)
- Hossein Amanat, architect and urban designer with: Esther Shalev-Gerz, artist; Daniel Roehr, architect and project manager David Lieberman, architect (Vancouver)
- Leslie M Klein, Quadrangle Architects with: Jeffrey Craft (SWA Group); Alan Schwartz, Terraplan; Yael Bartana, artist; Susan Philipsz, artist; Chen Tamir, artist; Deborah Dwork and Jeffrey Koerber, Holocaust scholars (Toronto)
- Gail Lord, museum planner with: Daniel Libeskind, architect; Edward Burtynsky, artist; Claude Cormier, landscape architect; Doris Berger, Holocaust scholar (Toronto)
- Gilles Saucier (Saucier + Perrotte Architectes) with: Marie-France Brière, artist (Montreal)
- Krzysztof Wodiczko, artist with: Julian Bonder, architect (US)