Acanthus Lawrence & Wrightson Architects has just completed the restoration of Grade II*-listed Morden Park House in the London Borough of Merton. Built in 1770 - its architect is unknown - the two-storey brick house was originally the residence of a London distiller but for much of the twentieth century was in institutional use. It then fell empty for several years, to the concern of English Heritage, before a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 1997 made restoration possible. In its new guise the house will serve as a register office of births, marriages and deaths for the borough. Pictured is the entrance hall and the main staircase, which begins as one flight but, past the half-landing, continues as two.