Dresden station, a handsome 1898 sandstone building, has been refurbished with new glazed roofs to the platforms, concourse and the curved lantern which rises above the main entrance foyer. The lantern is a pyramid, with four curved sides rising to a square apex. The original structure - a sandstone base surmounted by a granite coping and steel ring beam supporting curved steel trusses with bolted connections - has been retained.
The original trusses have been sandblasted, primed and coated, and enclosed with a new glazing system. This consists of 16mm-thick singleskin laminated glass panes with a PVB (polyvinyl butyrate) interlayer. The panes are faceted to form four curved and tapering walls framed by curved projecting steel mullions. To match the original lantern, the walls are defined at each of the four corners by a curved recess which runs from just below the apex to the sandstone base. It is lined with 5mm-thick aluminium sheet and assists rainwater drainage. The glazing system is fixed to a 60 x 60mm steel frame bolted with adjustable forked connectors to the original steel truss members.
A circular ETFE foil cushion, with a CHS support beam set at the base of the tower, can be raised to allow air to circulate. Exhaust air is vented at the apex through fixed horizontal louvres.