Allford Hall Monaghan Morris has been named on an eight-strong RIBA contest shortlist to design inpatient facilities for South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust
The Stirling Prize finalists are up against Allies and Morrison, Feilden Clegg Bradley, Henley Halebrown Rorrison, CF Moller, David Morley Architects with Anshen + Allen, Penoyre & Prasad with Patel Taylor and Reiach & Hall with Atkins.
The contest is part of a bid by the trust to develop a ‘new generation of inpatient mental health facilities’.
Kim Goddard, director of nursing and operations at the organisation said: ‘We are looking for innovative and imaginative solutions to create an environment of safety, privacy and dignity for people who are often at the most vulnerable time of their lives.
‘We know from our patients and their carers that this is integral to recovery and the Trust is committed to delivering this vision for the future of mental health services in South West London.’
She added: ‘There is a clear correlation between the recovery of people with mental illness and the environment in which they are cared for.’
RIBA advisor John Jenner said: ‘The RIBA received a number of very well considered submissions for this important project, resulting in an outstanding list of shortlisted practices.’
In June the trust mounted an appeal against local authority Wandsworth Council’s decision to reject proposals by Patel Taylor to redevelop its Springfield Hospital inpatient facility.
The full shortlist:
· Allford Hall Monaghan Morris with Sonnemanntoon, BBUK, Elliott Wood, Max Fordham and Davis Langdon
· Allies and Morrison with Max Fordham, Davies Maguire & Whitby, Equals Consulting and Townshend Landscape Architects
· Feilden Clegg Bradley with Max Fordham, Atelier One, Grant Associates, EC Harris and Kaethe Burt O’Dea Healthcare Research
· Henley Halebrown Rorrison with Price & Myers, Buro Happold, Plincke and Davis Langdon
· CF Moller with Arup, Gardiner and Theobald
· David Morley Architects with Anshen + Allen, (part of Stantec Architecture), Andy Sturgeon, Price and Myers, Max Fordham LLP, Davis Langdon, Willis Newson and Luke Hughes & Company
· Penoyre & Prasad with Patel Taylor, Max Fordham, Price & Myers and Davis Langdon
· Reiach & Hall with Atkins, Horner and MacLennan, DSSR, SKM and Davis Langdon
St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust contest: shortlist revealed