Cumbria County Council (CCC) is seeking an architect to masterplan its new public sector hub in Kendal
The winning of the £200,000 contract will draw up a concept masterplan, design brief and act as client-side advisor for the prestigious office project.
The scheme will create a new combined facility for CCC, South Lakeland District Council and the Lake District National Park Authority within Kendall’s Grade II-listed county hall.
Additional vacant land to the rear of the landmark building on Busher Walk will also be redeveloped to make way for the new hub.
Designed by Verner O Rees, the 1939 civic building was constructed from local grey limestone in a Neo-Georgian style with Scandinavian influences.
The competition-winning structure remains largely unchanged today apart from a new access ramp and a cold war defence bunker which was decommissioned in 1990.
Rees – who was a former president of the Architectural Association – was awarded second place in the competition for the RIBA’s Portland Place headquarters in 1929.
Other surviving competition-winning buildings by the architect include the Grade II-listed London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the Soissons Memorial in France.
Originally known as Kirkby Kendal, the former market town is today a major centre for tourists visiting the nearby Lake District.
The deadline for applications is 12noon on 26 September.
How to apply
View the contract notice for more information
Cumbria County Council
The Lonsdale Building
Tel: +44 1228221746