The Welsh Historic Gardens Trust is seeking a conservation architect for a £1.2 million overhaul of Bishop’s Park in Abergwili
The ‘Tywi Gateway’ project will transform a disused dairy within the historic landscaped park into a new visitors centre featuring a museum, café, toilets and offices.
A nearby walled garden and ha-ha will also be restored while an octagonal-shaped lodge will be converted for a micro-businesses.
Other planned improvements include repairing a bothy and creating a new bridge over Bishop’s Pond.
Located just outside Carmarthen, the park surrounds a historic house which started life as a college of priests in the 1280s.
The medieval building then became the palace of the Bishops of St David’s from 1542 to 1974 and is thought to be where the New Testament was first translated into Welsh.
The historic building was significantly adapted during the nineteenth century and transformed into the Carmarthenshire County Museum (pictured) in 1978.
The winning team will develop designs to RIBA Stage 3 and secure planning permission and listed building consent. A survey of the existing buildings will also be required.
According to the contract notice: ‘Bishop’s Park at Abergwili is of special importance to the cultural, historic and natural heritage of Wales.
The document continued: ‘Our aim is to create the Tywi Gateway there, an all-year destination with restored and reinvigorated pleasure grounds, walled kitchen garden, a flood-plain meadow and ox-bow lake.’
The deadline for requests to participate is 12noon on 4 September.
How to apply
View the contract notice for more information
Welsh Historic Gardens Trust (Carmarthenshire Branch)
The Shire Hall
8 Carmarthen Street
Tel: +44 1558823121