Medway Council is searching for an architect for a £2 million upgrade of the area surrounding historic Fort Amhurst in Chatham
Planned to complete in 2018, the ‘Command of the Heights’ project will improve access to the fortifications which were built to protect nearby Chatham Dockyard from French invasion.
Supported by Fort Amherst Heritage Trust, the scheme will demolish Chatham’s Riverside One building which sits on top of the historic Barrier Ditch.
It will also create a new entrance to the John Peter Desmaretze-designed complex which was constructed during the Seven Years War (1754-1763) and is now a scheduled ancient monument.
The Spur Battery – formerly used for siege warfare training – will meanwhile be transformed into an amphitheatre with seating to allow for outdoor performances.
New public realm improvements will furthermore be delivered along the riverside to improve access to the fort from the town and historic dockyard.
The fortifications – which include a network of underground tunnels – once formed a continuous three kilometre-long line of defence on the landward side of the naval base.
Last used during the Second World War, the site was purchased from the Ministry of Defence by the Fort Amherst Heritage Trust in 1980 and opened to the public. The naval dockyard was closed four years later.
The winner of the £240,000 contract will develop the scheme up to completion.
The deadline for applications is 22 October.
How to apply
View the contract notice for more information
Tel: 01634 331023