Two storeys have been added to this mixed-use retrofit of industrial space in the Hatton Garden Conservation Area
Herbal House was originally built in 1928 for the Daily Mirror, later becoming part of the campus of Central St Martins and the London College of Printing.
An extensive process of refurbishment has turned the ten-storey building into office space and apartments. Two new storeys house extra office space, roof terraces and six duplex apartments with private access via refurbished circulation cores on Herbal Hill and Back Hill, where a loading bay has also been converted into a triple-height space.
A new core has been introduced to connect the residential spaces with the offices below, which also allows the floorplate to be split for multiple occupiers.
Brickwork and stone detailing has been repaired and refurbished, while the original Crittal windows have been replaced with modern equivalents. A new lightwell draws light through the building down to the lower levels.
Herbal House by BuckleyGrayYeoman, upper ground floor plan
Herbal House is an exciting development for the heart of London’s creative district. Clerkenwell is one of central London’s most exciting districts, ideally placed for access to the knowledge quarter in King’s Cross, the tech cluster at Old Street and the emerging cultural hub in Farringdon. The size of this former printworks has offered us the scope to create a lively and characterful focal point for the working life of the area, which is being transformed by the imminent arrival of the Elizabeth Line.
Matt Yeoman, director, BuckleyGrayYeoman
Start on site date July 2014
Completion date January 2017
Gross internal floor area 35,052m²
Client Allied London
Construction cost £29.4 million
Services engineer Waterman Building Services
Structural engineer Waterman Structures
Planning consultant Montagu Evans
Main contractor McLaren Construction