RIBA presents 'gift' of free public access to its library
The library, which has around four million photographs, artefacts, models and paintings, was established in 1834 when the RIBA was founded and is Europe’s most comprehensive research resource on all aspects of architecture.
Irena Murray, director of the RIBA-funded library, described the decision as ‘a New Year gift to the public’.
She added: ‘Through increasing accessibility to the British Architectural Library, we aim to enable more and more people to research and enjoy the collections within it, both online and in person.'
Books, periodicals and photographs are stored at RIBA’s 66 Portland Place headquarters and drawings and archives are located at the V&A, under the V&A+RIBA Architecture Partnership.