Revealed: Winners of RIBA Yorkshire Regional Awards
Regional RIBA Awards have been handed to nine buildings in Yorkshire
The winners of the RIBA Yorkshire Regional Awards ranged from a ‘mature’ community enterprise centre in Sheffield by 00:/ - which also bagged the region’s Building of the Year Award - to a hillside house by Prue Chiles Architects.
Adam Khan’s Seizure Gallery at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, which was recently shortlisted for the AJ’s Small Projects Award 2014, also scooped a gong (AJ 12.03.14).
Chosen from an initial shortlist of 15 projects, the victorious schemes included the ‘crisply articulated’ Oakfield Special Educational Needs School by Wright & Wright Architects, a transformation of York’s former railway station by CSP Architects, a ‘modestly scaled’ entrance building by Hodson Architects, and McDowell + Benedetti’s Scale Lane Bridge (AJ 17.07.13) which was described by judges as ‘a spectacle and fair ground ride rolled into one’.
Cartwright Pickard was awarded the region’s Architect of the Year Award. The practice, which has offices in London, Leeds and Manchester, picked up awards for two of its projects - both council office buildings.
RIBA Yorkshire Regional Awards winners
- Entrance Building, Franklin College by Hodson Architects
- Manor Works by 00:/
- Oakfield Special Educational Needs School by Wright & Wright Architects
- Scale Lane Bridge by McDowell + Benedetti
- Seizure Gallery, Yorkshire Sculpture Park by Adam Khan Architects
- Underbank House by Prue Chiles Architects
- Wakefield One by Cartwright Pickard
- West Offices – New HQ and Customer Centre for City of York Council by CSP Architects
- Doncaster Civic Offices by Cartwright Pickard
Special Awards winners
Architect of the Year Cartwright Pickard
Emerging Architect of the Year Howard Evans, Prue Chiles Architects
Client of the Year Oakfield School for Oakfield Special Educational Needs School by Wright & Wright Architects
Building of the Year Manor Works by 00:/
Sustainability Award Wakefield One by Cartwright Pickard
Conservation Award West Offices - New HQ and Customer Centre for City of York Council by CSP Architects
Small Project Award Underbank House by Prue Chiles Architects