Revealed: Winners of RIBA South Regional Awards
A raft of ‘brilliant’ higher education projects dominate this year’s RIBA South Regional Awards
Chosen from a shortlist of 21 contenders, the triumphant schemes include Rafael Viñoly Architects’ ‘complex and eccentric’ Mathematical Institute, and the ‘playful but highly designed’ Harding Communication Centre at Pangbourne College by Mitchell Taylor Workshop.
There were also gongs for Design Engine’s ‘highly imaginative’ Clock Tower Square at Radley College and its highly acclaimed John Henry Brookes Building at Oxford Brookes University, which the judges said made them ‘wish [they] could go back to university’.
The ‘simply brilliant’ building won both the region’s Building of the Year and Sustainability Awards. The practice’s double victory paved the way for the Winchester-based firm to pick up the RIBA South Architect of the Year Award.
There was recognition too for Wilkinson Eyre’s ‘distinctive and striking’ Mary Rose Museum (AJ 05.06.13).
Regional winners will be put forward for the RIBA National Awards, with the lucky recipients announced in June.
RIBA South Regional Award winners
- Exbury Egg by PAD Studio
- John Henry Brookes Building by Design Engine
- Mary Rose Museum by Wilkinson Eyre with Pringle Brandon Perkins + Will
- Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford by Rafael Vinoly Architects
- McCall MacBain Graduate Study Centre, Wadham College by Lee Fitzgerald Architects
- New Music School at Stowe by Nick Cox Architects
- Oxford Martin School by Berman Guedes Stretton
- Radley College Clocktower Square by Design Engine
- Stonehaven by Yiangou Architects
- The Harding Communication Centre by Mitchell Taylor Workshop
- The Kench by Meloy Architects
Special Awards winners
Architect of the Year Design Engine
Emerging Architect of the Year PAD Studio
Client of the Year Mary Rose Trust for the Mary Rose Museum by Wilkinson Eyre
Building of the Year John Henry Brookes Building by Design Engine
Sustainability Award John Henry Brookes Building by Design Engine
Conservation Award McCall MacBain Graduate Study Centre, Wadham College by Lee Fitzgerald Architects
Small Project Award Exbury Egg by PAD Studio