Revealed: Winners of RIBA South East Regional Awards
The judges of the RIBA South East Regional Awards have handed more than a third of the region’s prizes to one-off homes
A ‘crafted’ house in Guilford by SCd Architects, the conversion of a rural cottage and outbuildings by Emrys Architects, a ‘tour de force of structural gymnastics’ by Smerin Architects, and a four-bedroom house at the end of a garden by SOUP Architects all received regional accolades.
Adam Richards Architects’ Ditchling Museum of Art and Craft (AJ 18.10.13), which was described by judges as ‘an uplifting public treasure’ picked up the region’s Building of the Year Award, beating eleven other award-winning projects to the prestigious gong.
Chosen from an initial shortlist of 18, the triumphant schemes also include Allies and Morrison’s ‘breathtaking’ boarding house at Brighton College, Hopkins Architects’ Science Building at Benenden School, and the ‘pleasurably playful’ Ritblat Building by Hawkins\Brown.
Regional winners will be put forward for the RIBA National Awards, with the lucky recipients announced in June.
RIBA South East Regional Award winners
- Brighton College Boarding House by Allies and Morrison
- Private House by SCd Architects
- Ditchling Museum of Art and Craft by Adam Richards Architects
- Private House by Emrys Architects
- Hadlow Tower by Thomas Ford and Partners
- Medway Crematorium by Clay Architecture
- Private House by Smerin Architects
- Science Building, Benenden School by Hopkins Architects
- The Novium by Keith Williams Architects
- The Ritblat Building, Hilden Grange Preparatory School by Hawkins\Brown
- Private House by SOUP Architects
Special Awards winners
Client of the Year Brighton College for Brighton College Boarding House by Allies and Morrison
Building of the Year Ditchling Museum of Art and Craft by Adam Richards Architects
Conservation Award Hadlow Tower by Thomas Ford and Partners
Small Project Award Private House by Emrys Architects