In pictures: The newly restored London Monument
The monument commemorating the 1666 Great Fire of London reopened to the public on 16 February after a £4.5-million restoration
The 18-month project, carried out by Julian Harrap Architects and specialist contractor Cathedral Works Organisation, was funded by the City of London Corporation.
Designed by Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke, the fluted Doric column topped with an urn of golden flames was completed in 1677. Its height – 61.6 metres – marks the exact distance to the shop in Pudding Lane where the fire started.