Holder Mathias' plans for a Center Parcs holiday village in Bedfordshire have stalled amid fears planning officials are preparing to block the resort.
Planners are understood to be opposed to siting the £160 million scheme inside Warren Wood, Woburn - a 148ha strip of greenbelt land owned by the Duke of Bedfordshire.
The scheme includes a hotel, large domed swimming pool, several supermarkets and 700-800 holiday bungalows.
Chris Valentine, Head of Planning Services at Mid Bedfordshire Council, confirmed Center Parcs' application had been withdrawn from the agenda for this Wednesday's planning committee meeting.
He said: 'Mid Beds has received a request from the applicant to delay consideration of this application in order that they might have more time to respond to concerns that have been raised and we thought it reasonable to allow them additional time.
'We now anticipate the application will be heard in the next few weeks. It is unfortunate that this application has been delayed - however, it is not unusual for an application of this size.'
Center Parcs said extensive public consultation combined with an independent public ballot had established broad support for the project.
'The reason for withdrawing the application is to hold more discussions with the council rather than residents,' said a Center Parcs spokeswoman. by Clive Walker