By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

Dust extractor revealed as culprit in Cutty Sark blaze

The fire that ripped through the Cutty Sark last May was started by electrical equipment being left on over the weekend.

The 19th-century tea clipper was being worked on to prepare it for its new home – a visitor centre designed by Youmeheshe Architects alongside Grimshaw.

The blaze stopped all work and the Cutty Sark Trust was forced to look for more funding to restore the ship, which had already secured £25 million of Heritage Lottery Funding.

According to a report by The Times, a dust extractor is thought to be the cause of the fire, the damage done by which is slowly being pieced back together again after an additional £10 million was raised.

It is believed that the equipment caught fire due to power being left on, and that the blaze couldn’t be doused as the sprinklers had been removed to carry out the ship’s repairs.

A full report is expected to be announced later today.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment.

The searchable digital buildings archive with drawings from more than 1,500 projects

AJ newsletters