UN Studio, SOM and BIG on Barangaroo masterplan shortlist
The five-strong shortlist of design teams competing to masterplan Sydney’s Barangaroo district has been revealed
The Barangaroo Central scheme is expected to include a range of cultural, civic, mixed use, commercial, residential, and retail uses.
The Barangaroo Delivery Authority-backed project is part of Lend Lease’s and Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners’ wider masterplan for the waterfront area’s regeneration.
Barangaroo Delivery Authority chief executive John Tabart said: ‘The desire for a world class master planning team for Barangaroo Central, is one step closer, with five teams shortlisted to the next stage of the selection and evaluation process.
He added: We received a range of extremely high calibre submissions from renowned international firms, supported by Australian involvement, reinforcing the global interest in Barangaroo.’
A winner is expected to be named in December.
The full shortlist
- BIG - Bjarke Ingels Group (Danish firm with office in New York) and Hassell (Aust representation)
- Woods Bagot (Aust representation), Scape NYC (USA)
- UN Studio (Dutch), LAB architecture studio (Aust), NH Architecture (Aust), Imelk (USA)
- Sasaki Associates (USA), Diller Scofidio Renfro (USA); Jackson Teece (Aust)
- SOM - Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (USA) + Andersen Hunter Horne (Aust)
Subscribe to AJ for £3 per week
Subscribe today and receive 47 issues of the magazine, 12 issues of AJ Specification and full access to TheAJ.co.uk and the AJ Buildings Library
Are you a student?
Students can subscribe to the AJ for £8 per month or £1.60 per week! Click here to start receiving the most recommended magazine for architecture students