RIBA Special Awards shortlists revealed
Projects including a water mill and a bus driver facility have made the shortlists for this year’s RIBA Special Awards, chosen from the RIBA Award-winning buildings announced in AJ 10.06.10
Winners will be named at the Stirling Prize ceremony at the Roundhouse, London, on 2 October
Crown Estate Conservation Award
The £5,000 first prize is handed to the best work of conservation demonstrating the successful restoration and /or adaptation of an architecturally significant building.
- Aldeburgh Music Creative Campus, Suffolk, by Haworth Tompkins
- Norwich Cathedral Hostry, Norwich, by Hopkins Architects
- Corpus Christi College, Oxford, by Rick Mather Architects
- The Monument, City of London, by Julian Harrap Architects
- Neues Museum, Berlin, by David Chipperfield Architects in collaboration with Julian Harrap Architects
Stephen Lawrence Prize
Sponsored by the Marco Goldschmied Foundation, the award is handed to the best examples of projects with a construction budget of less than £1 million. The £5,000 prize is intended to encourage fresh talent working with smaller budgets.
- Hunsett Mill, Stalham, Norfolk, by Acme
- Martello Y Tower, Bawdsey, Suffolk, by Piercy Conner Architects with Billings Jackson Design
- 1-5 Bateman’s Mews, London, by Anne Thorne Architects Partnership
- 7 July Memorial, London, by Carmody Groarke
- The Artist’s House, London, by Gumuchdjian Architects
- Bus Driver Facility, Dagenham, London, by Julian Cowie Architects
RIBA/CABE Public Space Award
This category is dedicated to the architects and landscape architects of the best RIBA Award-winning public spaces in the UK and celebrates
the contribution of well-designed publicly accessible external spaces.
- Pier Head and Canal Link, Liverpool, by Aecom
- 7 July Memorial, London, by Carmody Groarke (landscape architect Colvin & Moggridge)
- Regent’s Place Pavilion, London, by Carmody Groarke
RIBA/Sorrell Foundation Schools Award
The £5,000 first prize is given to the architects of the best RIBA Award-winning school (primary or secondary).
- St Luke’s CE Primary School, Wolverhampton, by Architype
- Rednock School, Gloucester, by Cube Design
- Christ’s College School, Guildford, by DSDHA
- Clapham Manor Primary School, London, by dRMM
- Lowther Children’s Centre, London, by Patel Taylor
RIBA Client of the Year supported by the Bloxham Charitable Trust
This award recognises the role good clients play in the delivery of fine architecture. The judges, which include lay members, choose clients from RIBA National Award-winning schemes while looking at their previous track record of ‘successful commissioning’.
- NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Aldeburgh Music
- Royal Parks
- The Victoria & Albert Museum