Reiach and Hall's New Stobhill Hospital bags PM's Award
The New Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow, designed by Reiach and Hall Architects, has won this year’s Prime Minister’s Better Public Building Award
The £65 million project (AJ 25.06.09) which has already taken the ‘best International Health Project at the 2010 Design & Health International Academy Awards, saw off a 21-strong shortlist to land the prestigious accolade.
Praised for ‘reworking the entire way in which healthcare is delivered’, the scheme beat projects such as Wright and Wright’s Hull Truck Theatre and Ray Hole’s Snowdon summit building in North Wales (see full shortlist below).
Previous winners include Nicholas Hare Architects’ Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College in Birmingham (2009) and Jubilee Library in Brighton by Bennetts Associates (2005).
Richard Simmons, chief executive of joint award sponsors CABE, added: ‘New Stobhill Hospital shows the enormous value to the community of investing in high-quality design that delivers more efficient public services.’
Judges were impressed that the building was ‘procured under a PFI contract, completed on time, with no defects, and has an excellent energy efficiency rating’.
To see the full list of BCIA 2010 winners click here.
Small building project up to £3m
- Lowther Childrens Centre, London (Patel Taylor)
- Upton Square, Northampton (ZEDfactory)
- Junction, Goole (Buschow Henley)
Small civils projects up to £3m
- Gainsborough Flood Alleviation Scheme, Lincolnshire (Atkins)
- Cathodic protection of Runcorn’s Silver Jubilee Bridge (Mott MacDonald)
Building project £3m-£50m
- Kentish Town Health Centre, London (Allford Hall Monaghan Morris)
- Medieval & Renaissance Galleries, Victoria & Albert Museum, London (MUMA)
- Hafod Eryri, Snowdon summit building, North Wales (Ray Hole Architects)
- The Waldron, London (Buschow Henley)
- The Roundhouse Campus, Derby (Maber Architects)
- The Hull Truck Theatre (Wright and Wright Architects)
- Nottingham Contemporary (Caruso St John Architects)
- University of Liverpool heating infrastructure project (Levitt Bernstein)
- United Kingdom Supreme Court, London (Feilden + Mawson)
Civil engineering project £3m-£50m
- Forth Road Bridge - main cable project, Scotland (AECOM)
- Three Mills Lock & water control structures, London (Tony Gee and Partners)
- A40 Wolvercote Viaduct Replacement, Oxfordshire (Hyder Consulting)
- BCDOIP Phase 1, Bristol (BAM Nuttall)
Major project over £50m
- Prince’s Gardens: Imperial College London Halls of Residence, London (Kohn Pederson Fox Associates)
- New Stobhill Hospital for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Scotland (Reiach and Hall Architects)
- DLR 3-car enhancement project, London (Arup)