A £4.4m refurbishment and extension of St Andrew’s Metropolitan Cathedral in Glasgow has been completed by Page\Park Architects
A new, part-finished cloister has been added to the Grade-A listed building, while works included roof repairs, stone and structural timber maintenance, and the conservation of external doors and stained-glass windows. An extensive internal redecoration was also undertaken.
The cloister includes a landscaped area with a monument to the Arandora Star – the Clydebuilt ship sunk by a German U-boat in 1940 carrying Italian prisoners of war. The silver-mirrored sculpture, designed by Maria Giulia Chiarini Testa, stands next to a 200-year-old olive tree which was gifted by the people of Tuscany.
The east and south elevations of the new enclosure are formed using granite rainscreen cladding. Elsewhere, bronze has been applied to new doors and handrails, lead to weathering details, and stone to floors and walls. The cloister will be completed with an internal glazed wall and roof, planned as a later phase of works.