Open House London reveals 2011 programme
Open House London has revealed the full list of buildings which will open to the public on the weekend of 17 to 18 September with booking now open for the most popular attractions
The event provides free access to 700 of London’s finest buildings alongside neighbourhood walks, cycle tours, architects’ talks and debates.
Over 40 of the buildings opening their doors to the public this year feature in the AJ Buildings Library. The database contains images, drawings and data showcasing close to 1,000 projects and is available to all AJ subscribers.
Victoria Thornton, Open House director: ‘Open House is the annual opportunity for Londoners to get inside London’s architecture and see how good design plays an important contributing role in creating and sustaining a “liveable” city.
‘Last year 89 per cent of participants said the Open House event was the best way to get under the skin, become more knowledgeable and engage in the dialogue about the capital’s architecture’.
Full details of all featured buildings and planned events are published in a guide which is available to purchase from the Open House London website but distributed free to AJ subscribers.
This year’s theme is ‘The Liveable City’ and will focus on the role of architects and contemporary design in revitalising places and making the capital a more pleasant place to live.
Open House London 2011: The highlights
- Landmarks and towers including BT Tower with unrivalled views across London from its famous revolving 34th floor
- Tours of London 2012 Olympic Park 10&11 September, a week earlier than the rest of the attractions across London
- London’s infrastructure revealed with the Institution of Civil Engineers - boat tours to the Thames Barrier and beyond, engineering walks and site visits to Blackfriars, Crossrail, London Bridge and more
- Nearly fifty landscape related projects with the Landscape Institute - from Alexandra Palace to the National Maritime Museum, to the transformation of Exhibition Road, explore how investment in landscape is changing the face of the capital
- Photography competition ‘The changing face of London’ supported by the Architects’ Journal, prizes provided by Lomography.
- Competition for a tour by iconic Routemaster with Arriva London Heritage Fleet, starting at BT Tower
- Event guide app for iPhone, available from the appstore from 12 August
- Architects’ homes and groundbreaking housing developments
- Eco, zero carbon and retrofit buildings
- Planners, architects and engineers on how they create successful cities
- Government buildings
- Maggie’s and Open House London Night Hike - Friday 16th September, opportunity to see Open House architecture by night and raise money for Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centres
- Open House Junior Festival for kids and families with over 60 events across London
- Talk: Walking in the Metropolitan Wild-the River Lea at Margaret Howell on Thursday 15th September
- Competition to win a weekend stay at 5* Town Hall Hotel & Apartments