Unsupported browser

For a better experience please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Negative news for CZWG's £350 million Yes! project

  • Comment

The proposed Yes! project in Rotherham has been shelved because scheme backer, Oak Holdings, cannot find the money it needs to go ahead

Rotherham Council said it has now ditched a development agreement with Oak Holdings for the £350 million scheme designed by CZWG and Holder Mathias.

Last September councillors approved proposals for the leisure and conference resort on the former Pithouse West coal mine and has held the development agreement with Oak since May 2003.

In a company statement released on Monday, Oak Holdings said: ‘The global financial crisis and depressed property markets have resulted in Oak being unable to secure the funds needed to commence the development phase of the project.

‘As a result of these challenges, and notwithstanding Oak’s renewed planning consent on the Yes! project, [Rotherham Council] has taken the decision not to extend, and cancel the current development agreement.

‘The board is currently reviewing its options in respect of the notice but there is no indication at this stage that [the council] will agree to cancel the termination notice or extend the current development agreement.

‘If the situation changes a further announcement will be made.’

Previous story (10.05.06)

Environment groups attack plans for huge Yorkshire indoor development

Plans to build Europe’s largest indoor leisure development on a former coal-mining site in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, have been slated by pro-countryside activists.

Conservation lobby group the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) has labelled the £300 million ‘Yes!’ project on the green-belt site as ‘inappropriate’ and ‘potentially devastating’.

The brainchild of architects CZWG and Holder Mathias, the scheme would completely transform the now-closed Pithouse West coal mine.

Plans for the new tourist ‘destination’ include an extreme sports centre, two hotels, a hi-tech outdoor driving range, spa facilities and a new railway station.

However, CPRE’s planning officer John King is demanding the development is turned down when it comes before Rotherham Council for outline permission tomorrow (Thursday 11).

He said: ‘The initiative is entirely unsuitable for this location. It makes no sense to devastate an attractive, regenerated green-belt site when previously developed, brownfield land in the area lies idle.’

However, the council is recommending the development, which is being backed by developer Oak Holdings, is conditionally approved even though it acknowledges that ‘the proposal represents inappropriate development in the green belt.’

It is understood the project will be called in by the regional Government Office should the application be given the go-ahead.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.

Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.