[First look + plans] Keighley’s Central Hall has reopened to voluntary and local groups following a £2.1 million revamp by Hodson Architects
Closed as a community facility seven years ago due to health and safety concerns, the refurbished 1893 former Methodist Chapel is now the home to Keighley & Ilkley Voluntary and Community Action and the town’s Citizen’s Advice Bureau.
The restored building includes exhibition space, a cafe, meeting rooms, and a large hall for events.
According to the Cleethorpes-based practice, ‘the re-use of a vacant building, through refurbishment and appropriate additions, is a fundamental sustainable approach’.
Architect: Hodson Architects, The Old Post Office, Yarra Road, Cleethorpes
Location: Central Hall, Alice Street, Keighley
Type of Project: Alterations & extension to former Primitive Methodist Chapel to create a community resource centre
Project Architect: Hugh MacPherson, Hodson Architects
Project Manager: Mike Hill, HFM, The Old Post Office, Yarra Road
Quantity Surveyor: Brian Gray, AE Thornton Firkin & Partnners, 98 West Parade, Lincoln
Structural Engineer: Colin Riches, Buro Happold Ltd, 2 Brewery Place, Brewery Wharf, Leeds
Energy Consultant: Neil Ingham, PES, The Old Post Office, Yarra Road, Cleethorpes
Client: City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council and Keighley & Ilkley Voluntary and Community Action (KIVCA)
Funding: Big Lottery and ERDF
Tender Date: August 2009
Start on Site Date: September 2009
Contract Duration: 15 Months
Gross Internal Floor Area: 1,310m²
Form of Contract: JCT 2005 with Quantities
CDM Officer: City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council
Main Contractor: Bermar Building Co, Unit 2, Bullroyd Industrial Estate, Bullroyd Lane, Bradford
Selected Sub Contractors: Mechanical - Kimpton Building Services, 1 Ellinthorpe Street, Wakefield Road, Bradford; Electrical - Tricon Services, Silkwood Court, Ossett, Wakefield WF5 9TP; Timber Windows - Theaker Joinery Ltd, 42 North Farm Road, Scunthorpe
Annual co2 Emissions: 58.8 tonnes per annum