Green Rethink: Patrick Bellew's five green technologies to look out for
Atelier Ten principal Patrick Bellew shared his five green technologies to look out for at the AJ Green Rethink conference
- Electro chromic glass: Architects love glass. The future will be about making it work for the building. Electro chromic glass [which acts to shade buildings] will be the next big development we see.
- Energy storage: From a national to a local level energy storage will be important to projects of the future.
- Greening facades: Ken Yeang and Patrick Blanc have pioneered this. Using the façade grow biofuel and power the building, and algae growing on facades.
- Joined up systems: more effective use of resources, such as waste from site to heat buidlings
- Nanotechnology: Technologies such as phase change material [used for thermal storage] will be big in the future.