Get Carter car park comes down
Owen Luder has made a final visit to his iconic Gateshead multi-storey car park - made famous in the film Get Carter
Demolition work on the 1960s landmark, which will make way for the new £150 million Tesco-led Trinity Square development designed by 3DReid, finally began yesterday (26 July).
A sad Luder said Gateshead was ‘losing its teeth’ as he visited the car park’s rooftop box - built as a nightclub but never used.
The former RIBA president told journalists he thought the car park should be kept and the shops below it revamped, adding: ‘It was allowed to deteriorate, it obviously looks an eyesore. In fact it could be renovated.’
‘The sad thing is of course that in 20 or 30 years time when they in fact are going to demolish what is going to be built now, there won’t be interviews on that.’
Previous story (AJ 23.07.10)
Countdown to doom: Get Carter car park to get flattened next week
Demolition work on Owen Luder’s iconic Gateshead multi-storey car park - made famous in the film Get Carter - will restart on Monday (26 July)
The brutalist concrete landmark will make way for the new £150 million Tesco-led Trinity Square development (pictured-below) designed by 3DReid.
Initial work had already begun on dismantling the car park last year but that was put on hold as Tesco and Gateshead Council stalled over details of the proposed development which includes a new town square, 45 retail units, offices, a 900-bedroom student village with more than 900 beds, parking and a Tesco store.
Leader of Gateshead Council, councillor Mick Henry, said: ‘This car park is a significant part of Gateshead’s history.
‘For forty years it has been visible from across Newcastle and Gateshead and as well as accommodating thousands of cars over the years, it has been a huge talking point and a great location for filming and photography. We all recognise its architectural style, whether loved or hated, but we’ve long awaited the opportunity to redevelop the town centre to better suit the needs and expectations of people who live and work here.’
It will take approximately eight weeks to demolish the structure with a ‘large nibbling machine’ and a further eight weeks to clear the site.
A pragmatic Luder said: ‘It is too late for the Architecture Minister [John Penrose] to reconsider the Get Carter car park as that is coming down…but perhaps he might be persuaded to reconsider the non-listing of [my other Gateshead scheme] the Dunston Rocket.’