By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

Your browser seems to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser.

Close

Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Close

Faulty TV to blame for Lakanal House fire

A fire in a south London tower block, which killed six people was caused by an electrical fault, according to initial findings

The blaze in Camberwell started in a portable television believed to be at least 10 years old, said police.

‘Initial results have found that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault originating in a portable TV set that was at least 10 years old.

‘The make and model of the TV have not been confirmed so we will not speculate. It was in a room on the ninth floor.’

According to a BBC London investigation, Southwark Council was aware the tower block was a fire risk. In 2000 the council surveyed 200 tower blocks, identifying 13 that ‘may pose a fire risk or risk of a fire spread’. Four of the 13 were demolished but Lakanal House remained inhabited.

Speaking to the AJ, architect Sam Webb said more than half of Britain’s thousands of local authority tower blocks pose a similar risk to the one in Camberwell.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment.

Related Jobs

Sign in to see the latest jobs relevant to you!

The searchable digital buildings archive with drawings from more than 1,500 projects

AJ newsletters