Council rubberstamps McAslan's revised barracks scheme
Westminster Council has approved redesigned proposals by John McAslan and Partners for the redevelopment of St John’s Wood Barracks in north west London
The 133-home, 12-block scheme will replace one of the capital’s most famous military barracks - currently home to the soon-to-be moved King’s Troop which is relocating to a new Scott Brownrigg-designed home in Woolwich.
McAslan’s initial plans were reworked in collaboration with conservation practice Russell Taylor Architects following objections from locals.
The proposals, which include 74 private homes and 59 affordable homes, will also see the refurbishment of 16 flats in Queen’s Terrace while the site’s Grade II-listed riding school building will remain and be converted to provide the new private leisure centre.
As part of the Section 106 agreement, developers The Trustees of the Eyre Estate will contribute more than £1million towards local early years provision, primary and secondary education as well as £100,000 towards a new adventure playground..
Robert Davis, deputy council leader and chairman of the planning applications committee, said: ‘This marks an exciting new phase for this historic site, and although it will be sad to see the King’s Troop leave, the proposed development will greatly enhance the local area.
‘The scheme skilfully combines modern and traditional architecture, and is of a high quality design which is sympathetic to the surrounding area.’
The St John’s Woods Barracks is one of the few barracks built during the post-Waterloo period to improve security in the capital. The riding school which dates back to 1825 is the only major remaining part of the original barracks.
The rest of the barracks consists of the neo-classical Officers’ Mess dating from 1921 and various modern buildings built in the 1970s.