Call for evidence: RTPI opens review of large scale housing
The Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) is seeking views on how to unlock large scale housing developments
The call for evidence is the first step towards creating a research document which will provide practical solutions for communities to meet housing needs in their areas.
The institute will investigate how places wanting to expand can do so and how places can deliver housing on a large scale. It will also highlight how planners can shape new developments to ensure that they are sustainable and meet long-term housing need.
RTPI president Peter Geraghty said: ‘The conventional debate has focused on whether we need more houses: we will be looking at where this should happen and how it is possible to overcome the longer-term structural obstacles and ultimately come up with practical solutions to address housing need.’
Stakeholders in the built environment are invited to answer the following seven questions:
• Do you feel that there is a need for large scale (thousands of units) housing developments - as opposed to expanding many areas by a little - and, if so, where in the country would these developments work most effectively?
• Should the focus for large scale development sites be on urban extensions, new separate conurbations or both? What would be the criteria for choosing one over another and does their delivery require different approaches?
• From your knowledge and experience, what has worked well to allow large scale housing delivery? Case study examples are welcome.
• From a planning perspective, what are the most significant barriers to large scale housing development? What are the most important two or three things need to be in place to overcome these barriers?
• What changes to current planning processes and/or legal frameworks would you advocate to boost large scale housing development?
• How large is the ‘NIMBY’ issue and is it over-stated?
• How important is the process of community engagement? Can you give examples where community engagement has worked effectively in the delivery of large scale housing developments?
Responses should be sent to email@example.com before 5 July.
Visit the RTPI website for more information