C F Møller renovates Denmark's oldest school
London-affiliated practice C F Møller Architects has renovated the oldest school in Denmark.
The Aarhus-headquartered outfit, which also has an office in central London, oversaw a major redesign of the listed Sølvgade School in Copenhagen.
Built in 1847, the school lacked space and modern facilities. C F Møller refurbished existing buildings and added an extension.
According to the practice, the six-storey new building has a ‘striking glass façade’ and gives Sølvgade School ‘a lively and dynamic expression’.
The architect’s view
The new six-storey building gives [the school] a lively, modernistic twist, but with its slanted shapes and colour scheme relating to Nyboder’s pastel shades, it also corresponds with the historic surroundings.
Inside, the floorplan layout twists and angles, walls are sloping, and the coloristic colour scheme continues, linking inside and outside and creating an inspiring and dynamic learning environment.
The unusual double layering of the façade creates a highly insulated building, minimizes traffic noise, and functions as vent stack for natural ventilation. The hybrid ventilation concept combines natural and mechanical ventilation to minimize the use of energy and create the optimal indoor climate crucial to a learning environment. All in all, the energy consumption does not exceed 68 kWh/m2/year.
The school is a good neighbour. Considering not only its own natural lighting needs, the building preserves the light for surrounding buildings. This thoughtfulness continues through the rest of its form. While maintaining its modern sensibilities, the building borrows colours, proportions and references from the historic surroundings. The structure respects existing patterns by changing rooflines to connect a historic side street building to façades on the other side of the block.
Client: The City of Copenhagen and Københavns Ejendomme
Address: Sølvgade, Copenhagen, Denmark
Architect: C F Møller Architects
Landscape: C F Møller Architects
Engineer: Esbensen Rådgivende Ingeniører and Sloth Møller
Size: 4,500 m² (renovation 2,100 m², new build 2,400 m²)
Procured: First prize after competitive tender, 2005