AJ competition to redesign Abbey Green in Barking, East London, with Design for London and the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
The AJ ran a competition to redesign Abbey Green in Barking, East London, with Design for London and the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. The shortlist is now available
The AJ is working with Design for London and the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham to find designer or team of designers with a vision for Abbey Green, in the heart of Barking.
Abbey Green is an under-used 6.5ha space, with the tough Gascoigne Estate to its south and access to the River Roding to its west. It has huge assets: the Broadway Theatre on the east side of the green, the ruins of a 16th-century abbey, plus two schools, whose students have the potential to animate the green.
Critical to the success of entries will be understanding the green’s role in connecting the town centre with the river. The client is looking for more than just a landscape project, rather a vision for a place of character.
Please use the comments area at the foot of this page to ask any questions related to this project.
- Download the brief and entry form as a pdf
- Download Abbey Green map as a pdf (required for entry as one of two A2 boards)
- Register for email updates on the competition
- Pre Qualification Questionnaire (required for entry)
- Guide to the Pre Tender Qualification Questionnaire
- Abbey Green map for Autocad/ Microstation
Entry check list
All entrants must submit:
- Two A2 boards. One should use a map of the park (provided as a download above) to show the vision for the park. The second board should be used to provide more detail on that vision. See section 4 for more details.
- A CD with PDF versions of the A2 boards, all text saved as a Word document without formatting (.doc or .txt) and all images saved at 300 dpi CMYK actual size.
- Completed entry form.
- A completed PQQ form.
Further resource material
Click on the thumbnail below to view a context map of the Abbey Green area. Please note, this is not the same map as required as part of the competition entry.