Mikhail Riches and Jamie Fobert in mix for New College jobs
Mikhail Riches and Jamie Fobert are among 10 practices shortlisted for two separate projects at New College in Oxford
Five firms – including Mikhail Riches, Richard Griffiths Architects and ADP – have been selected as finalists in the Malcolm Reading Consultants-organised competition for the prestigious client’s Longwall project.
Adam Richards Architects and Adrian James Architects are also vying for the £1 million scheme which will restore a number of Grade II-listed eighteenth-century houses on the city centre site.
The project will retain the houses’ facades and create a new mews development designed to ‘release space and re-orientate’ the buildings towards the historic college which is part of the University of Oxford.
Meanwhile Jamie Fobert is one of five outfits competing for New College’s £1 million chapel yard redevelopment scheme.
Caroe Architecture, Design Engine Architects, Guy Hollaway Architects, and Piercy & Company complete the shortlist.
The scheme will reorganise space between the Grade I-listed chapel and Oxford’s ancient city wall.
The finalists must propose new ways to re-use the yard and create more space for the college’s world-famous choir.
New College bursar, David Palfreyman said: ‘These are important projects because they release and re-work difficult and awkward spaces for the College, close to the city wall.
‘In both cases choosing the shortlist has been interesting and we look forward to the teams’ proposals and choosing the winners.’
Competition organiser, Malcolm Reading, added: ‘These challenges speak to that ultimate combination of architectural skills: the ability to create contemporary design which can cohabit with both outstanding existing buildings and small-scale ones; design which conveys integrity and enlivens the environment, whilst offering a high level of function.’
The competition winners will be announced in November.
The full shortlists
• Adam Richards Architects with Price & Myers, Synergy Consulting Engineers and Caroline Egremont
• ADP with AKS Ward and Couch Perry Wilkes
• Adrian James Architects with Price & Myers and QODA
• Mikhail Riches with Civic Engineers, Plincke Landscape Architects, Howard Sharp and Partners Planning Consultants and XCO2 Energy M&E Engineers.
• Richard Griffiths Architects with Price & Myers, SGA Consulting and Todd Longstaffe Gowan Associates
• Caroe Architecture with Momentum, Luke Hughes, Ramboll, CBG Consultants and Survey Operations
• Design Engine Architects with Eckersley O’Callaghan, Vector Design, Oxford Archaeology, Sustainable Acoustics, Earnscliffe and NHBC.
• Guy Hollaway Architects with Peter Deer Associates and Eckersley O’Callaghan
• Jamie Fobert Architects with Max Fordham and Price & Myers
• Piercy & Company with Price & Myers, Arup and Donald Insall Associates