Allies and Morrison’s Charles Street car park in Sheffield has come third in a competition to find the ‘world’s coolest car park’
Herzog & de Meuron’s 1111 Lincoln Road, Miami, was awarded the top gong, with Charles Street in Sheffield the highest-placed British car park. Lyon’s Parc des Celestins designed by architects Michel Targe, Jean-Michel Wilmotte and Daniel Buren was placed second.
Dave Greenbrown, founder of Stress Free Airport Parking and judge, said: ‘At first glance Charles Street car park in Sheffield appears to be a chic contemporary apartment block, when in fact it is a sleek and stylish parking building.’
Millennium Point in Birmingham designed by Urban Design (now Acivico) was named as one of the ten finalists.
The inaugural award was run by Stress Free Airport Parking and DesignCurial & FX magazine.
World’s coolest car parks
1st 1111 Lincoln Road, Miami, USA by Herzog & de Meuron
2nd Parc des Celestins, Lyon, France by Michel Targe, Jean-Michel Wilmotte and Daniel Buren
3rd Charles Street, Sheffield, UK by Allies and Morrison
- Millennium Point, Birmingham, UK by Urban Design (now Acivico)
- Michigan Theatre, Detroit, USA by Rapp & Rapp
- Veranda Car Park, Rotterdam, Netherlands by Paul de Ruiter
- Cordova Parkade, Vancouver, Canada by Henriquez Partners Architects
- Car Park Plaza, Canovas, Spain by Teresa Sapey Estudio de Arquitectura
- Ballet Valet Parking Garage, Miami, USA by Arquitectonica
- Eureka Tower Car Park, Melbourne, Australia by Fender Katsalidis Architects