5Plus submits detailed plans for 95-home riverside scheme
Architect of Manchester’s Airport City sends in £20 million first phase of regeneration plans for brownfield site near Meadow Lane in Nottingham
London and Manchester-based 5Plus Architects has submitted detailed plans for this 95-home scheme next to the river Trent in Nottingham.
The 10,000m² scheme on a 1.2ha brownfield site near to Notts County Football Club’s Meadow Lane home is the first phase of the practice’s wider, comprehensive masterplan for the area.
The project, which has a value of between £15 and £20 million – and is backed by Meadow Lane Regeneration – features three-to four-bedroom terraced houses with rear gardens; three-bedroom duplex flats with riverfront gardens; live/work apartments, with enclosed ground floor outdoor space; and one-to three-bedroom flats.
Project architect Runyuan Xu said: ‘This first phase has been submitted separately [to the wider plan] to get things moving, and to show the council and local community that the regeneration process is real and imminent.’
‘[Because of ] the current nature of the site and associated constraints [we have] looked to address this by ensuring that the residents have a high-quality living environment by creating dual aspect and south-facing units looking towards the river, south-facing amenity spaces, and houses with a variety of gardens and terraces.’
Sally Lewis, founding director, Stitch
It is hard to comment on the architecture of this scheme without first understanding more about the phasing of the wider masterplan, and for how long the scheme needs to stand alone.
The architecture is well articulated and will create an elegant new addition to the riverside. Equally, the family homes lining the new street into the development provide the beginnings of an attractive residential neighbourhood. But it is the first, rather lonely, development in a vast semi-industrial opportunity area, and not all the proposed homes will enjoy the new street or the enviable riverside location.
Not all the proposed homes will enjoy the new street or the enviable riverside location
With no mention of any form of public transport (how is it possible to present a masterplan that doesn’t talk about movement and access?) we assume that all access will be by car. But, sadly, only 40 per cent of the development appears to enjoy a proper street address. The other 60 per cent have to duck behind the apartment buildings to get to their homes via an access road/car park, which would benefit from being treated more as a street, with perhaps a few more trees and front doors.
This scheme does all the right things for a riverside development and will undoubtedly be considered an exemplar kickstart to regeneration. It’s the bits at the back that no one sees, including the play area stuck in a leftover, overshadowed corner of land against the industrial boundary, that perhaps stop it from being as great as it could be while it waits for the new neighbours to arrive.