Stories by contributor
18-Oct-2001The Duke's Road building was built around 1895 as a drill hall. It is constructed of loadbearing brickwork supporting filler-joist floors and the drill hall roof (later to be the theatre) is supported on steel trusses. The new works at this end of the site involved the addition of a lift and a staircase, forming new openings and rationalising floor levels for better access. The work required the removal of areas of floor and walls at every level and needed a thorough understanding of ...