By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

Your browser seems to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser.


Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.


What's the crack with the cruck?


I feel you are muddying the water in describing the structure of the long barn as a cruck structure (AJ. 15.7.04).

Crucks have been defined by N W Alcock and others in the CBA Research Report, Cruck Construction, as 'a single piece of timber, straight or curved, serving as the principal of a roof, and stretching from a point at, or close to, the apex of the roof to a point substantially down the side walls', often to ground level.

Sorry, but what we have here is a fabricated portal frame.

John Napier, historic buildings secretary, CBA Wales

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment.

The searchable digital buildings archive with drawings from more than 1,500 projects

AJ newsletters