UNIVERSITY BUILDING SAVES CHURCH EXTERIOR
Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands has received planning consent for this new primary care and student centre for London South Bank University. The £6 million scheme will partially replace St George's Presbyterian Church on Borough Road in Southwark, south London, which was built in 1846 and has deteriorated and fallen into disrepair. As most of the existing church building is past saving, the practice plans to retain and refurbish two of the elevations, bringing them back into use as the enclosure to the centre's entrance. As well as acting as a care centre, the scheme will also provide training facilities, which the practice hopes will 'complement the main education facility'. The four-storey building will be clad in 'a low, easily maintained finish that will provide a strong architectural identity.' The practice hopes to be on site by the middle of next year, with completion aimed for 2008.