Dating from 1888, this listed building by Robert Watt has been brought back from almost complete dereliction. The small single-domed Meter House comprises only 96sqm and took four years to resurrect through three phases of construction involving considerable research.
The project included the renovation and replacement of the existing terracotta decorative external panels, installation of a new lead clad roof, commissioning a new cast iron and hand-painted glass dome, the reintroduction of ornate plaster detailing to the roof and intricately detailed timber panelling to the walls, plus new double glazed windows with an interesting curved fenestration detail.
Client: Doug and June Elliot
Contractor: Felix O'Hare & Co Ltd / J. Rainey & Co Ltd / Annvale
Structural Engineer: RPS Consulting Engineers
Services Engineer: Williams & Shaw Building Services
Contract Value: £650,000
Date of Completion: June 2006
Gross Internal Area: 136sqm