MINIER DESIGN AJ ENQUIRY NO: 201 Lightweight stone panels by AUGST GmbH are the perfect solution for facades, interior panels and lifts, when the weight of stone could be a problem. It can be reduced by 80 per cent, without damaging the beauty or durability of the stone. Several types of backing materials can be bonded to the thin stone, including light concrete and alucore honeycomb, giving it higher impact strength and increased flexural strength. The lightweight stone panels are economical and can be installed easily.
For details tel 020 7407 1157, or email info@lightconstruct. co. uk KELSEY ROOFING AJ ENQUIRY NO: 202 'Create the building envelope' was the brief for Kelsey Roofing Industries for its £2.5 million contract on the ancillary buildings at the Government Communications Headquarters, GCHQ. Known as the 'String of Pearls', the six service buildings include the visitor centre and gate house. Kelsey installed insulated Kalzip roof and Stratabord wall cladding, including louvres and metal doors, to all buildings, and a Latchway fall-arrest system to three. The project architect was Gensler and Carillion was the main contractor.
CELOTEX AJ ENQUIRY NO: 203 Cavity wall and internal wall lining insulation from Celotex's double-R range has been specified by Arup Associates for its acclaimed design for the new City of Manchester Stadium. The concrete-frame building utilises 1,480m 2of Celotex Tuff-R CW2000 cavity wall insulation in three thicknesses (48, 38 and 25mm) installed by Advanced Brickwork.
UK CAST STONE ASSOCIATION AJ ENQUIRY NO: 204 Clever use of cast stone in the new Travelodge complex in Cirencester meant that the planners were happy and the fasttrack build programme was completed ahead of schedule. The UK Cast Stone Association (UKCSA) is at the forefront of developments in this material and devotes considerable resources to meeting the demands of modern construction methods. UKCSA member Bradstone worked closely with the project architect, assisting with technical and design issues to ensure that the development was a success for all concerned.
VETROTECH AJ ENQUIRY NO: 205 Vetrotech Saint-Gobain has completed a prestigious contract for the Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals NHS Trust.
The contract, part of the first £3 million phase of redevelopment at Barnet Hospital, was for SGG Swissflam to be installed into an atrium door, itself situated within a firescreen fabricated by Halifax-based Arkoni. SGG Swissflam is a multi-laminated, fire-resisting and fully insulated glass produced from sheets of laminated safety glass separated by clear and colourless intumescent interlayers.
KÖMMERLING INTERNATIONAL AJ ENQUIRY NO: 206 'The most advanced window in the North' That is how Kömmerling fabricator EWL is describing its latest window, which uses the new selfcleaning Pilkington Activ glass, has a U-value of 1.8 W/m 2K, and is completely lead-free. EWL is one of the first fabricators in England picked by Pilkington to pioneer what is claimed to be the world's first self-cleaning glass. The special coating on Pilkington Activ reacts with sunlight to break down any dirt on the glass, and rain water then flows evenly over the surface to wash it away without leaving any streaks.
A PROCTOR GROUP AJ ENQUIRY NO: 207 The A Proctor Group of Blairgowrie provided its Profloor Acoustic Mat as a solution to the problem facing contractor E Thomas Construction during the construction of Discovery Wharf on the historic Barbican in Plymouth. The contractor had to provide impact insulation to the party floors, but construction restraints meant there were restrictions as to how high the floors could be raised. Being only 4.5mm thick, the high-performance Profloor Acoustic Mat provided the adequate sound insulation without encroaching into the room space.
LINFORD AJ ENQUIRY NO: 208 A Grade I-listed manor house - Smithills Hall in Bolton - has been turned into a top tourist attraction through the expertise of LinfordBridgeman, the building repair and conservation arm of the Midlands-based Linford Group. The £1.8 million scheme involved three rooms - the White Drawing Room, the Green Hall and Library - which have been opened up to allow easier public access, as well as restoring them to their original Victorian splendour. The rooms, built between 1847 and 1886, have also been rewired, and fire and burglar alarms fitted.