Morley to make Lord's more hospitable
David Morley Architects has just received planning permission for an 1800m2 hospitality building to run along the Wellington Road side of Lord's cricket ground. The project is designed to have a 10-year lifespan and to be used all year round. It will accommodate all the functions currently served by temporary buildings erected on a seasonal basis.
Steel-framed units at either end of the building contain kitchens and wcs, leaving a five-bay clear-span insulated tent which can accommodate a banquet of up to 1000 people, or be subdivided by mobile aluminium and laminate walls. The space can include a lecture theatre, conference and training facilities, and small or large restaurant areas, or can be arranged as a row of small hospitality boxes overlooking the nursery pitch with a restaurant/bar at the back. The structural frame sits between the inner and outer membranes, pushing up the centre point of each bay to create a scalloped roof edge.
David Morley Architects is the masterplanner for Lord's cricket ground, and has already completed the cricket school in 1994, the headquarters building for the Test and County Cricket Board and the Lord's shop (aj 29.8.96) as well as smaller projects including an electronic scoreboard, new railings, and a landscape strategy devised with landscape architect Edward Hutchison which includes green-and-white planting all year round.
Designed to be relatively low-key so as not to compete with the Lord's signature buildings, the hospitality centre is based on a module which relates to the nursery ground, and sits symmetrically on the central axis of Future Systems' Media Centre.
The scheme has been devised with structural engineer Atelier 1 and service engineer Max Fordham & Partners. Gleeds is the quantity surveyor, and the construction cost will be in the region of £1.5 million. Work on site starts in September, with an estimated completion date of March 1999.