By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

Mass listing includes Festival of Britain church

news

The government has listed 28 post-war church buildings. Heritage minister Alan Howarth included churches, chapels and a war memorial in his mass listing following recommendations by English Heritage.

Among those elevated to Grade II is Trinity Methodist church in London's Tower Hamlets. It was built in 1951 as part of the 'live' architecture exhibition for the Festival of Britain, and was designed by Handisyde and Stark.

Notttinghamshire's rc Church of God the Shepherd, with a polygonal plan and tent-like concrete vault, was listed Grade II*. The Woodthorpe building by Gerard Goalen was completed in 1964.

Grade II* also went to G G Pace's Scargill Chapel in Kettlewell, Yorkshire. It was built in 1961 of local limestone and cedar shingles to appear to grow out of the dale.

Other Grade II* buildings are the raf Memorial, Runnymede, built in 1953 and designed by Edward Maufe; St Paul in Sheffield by Sir Basil Spence and Partners, 1959; and the American Military Cemetery Chapel near Cambridge, designed by Perry, Shaw, Hepburn, Kehoe and the Dean of Boston, with Highes and Bickney, in 1954.

The following buildings were listed Grade II:

Dutch Church, London, Arthur Bailey, completed in 1954

St Mary in the Park, East Sussex, Edward Maufe, 1954

All Saints, Norfolk, J Fletcher Watson, 1955

Notre Dame de France, Westminster, Hector Corfiato, 1954, with mural by Jean Cocteau

St Leonard, St Leonards on Sea, Giles and Adrian Gilbert Scott, 1961

rc Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, 1959

Church of the Ascension, Plymouth, Potter and Hare, 1958

The Finnish Church in London, Cyril Mardall, 1958

Parish Church of St Andrew and St George, Stevenage, Seely and Paget, 1960

Castle Hill United Reformed Church, Ipswich, Johns,Slater and Howard, 1957

St Luke, Luton, Seely and Paget, 1956

St James, Clapham, N F Cachemaille-Day, 1958

rc Church of the Most Holy Trinity, London, H S Goodhart-Rendel, 1960

St John, Hatfield, Peter Bosanquet, 1960.

Development Corporation sinks Cardiff sports village

Plans for a £240 million sports village on the Ferry Road site at Cardiff Bay (aJ 23.4.98/ 4.6.98) have been vetoed by Cardiff Bay Development Corporation, which is refusing to support the proposal and wants the Welsh Office to intervene.

Designed by Cardiff practice Burgess Partnership, the project is a joint venture between Cardiff council, Dutch-owned Philips Projects, property company Capital and Regional, and Celtic Leisure, owner of the Cardiff Devils ice hockey team.

cbdc owns part of the site and is reluctant to release it for leisure uses, having earmarked the area for commercial development. A corporation spokesman said that the consortium's business plans and planning applications were 'flawed', a charge refuted strongly by the project's backers.

The council planning committee, due to meet on Tuesday, is likely to be forced to deny outline planning approval in the absence of cbdc's support. In that case, the project partners would be unlikely to succeed in a pending application to Sportlot for £9 million for a swimming pool in the village. A Sportlot refusal and continued opposition from cbdc would almost certainly mean the abandonment of the project. The promoters would then consider resiting the proposed village at Bristol.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment.

The searchable digital buildings archive with drawings from more than 1,500 projects

AJ newsletters