Ian MartinOne man's journey into architecture, with fellow travellers Dusty Penhaligon, architecture critic Darcy Farquear'say, RIPBA president Dame Helen Button, magic arborealist Isis de Cambray and HRH Prince Charles
Ian Martin columns
Ian Martin redesigns the idea of British artists
Ian Martin organises a content management pop-up workshop
Ian Martin designs a pop-up church
Ian Martin takes a trip to Milan Furniture Fair’s smart periphery
Ian Martin digests a new listed buildings policy, titled ‘Quaintity Street’.
Ian Martin designs the Tamworth Big PIEVILION
Ian Martin presents to Institute of Plasmic Arts
Ian Martin designs a luxury graffiti and urban skills pavilion in Brighton
Ian Martin visits Blingnang Freepitch
Ian Martin gives up GPS for lent
Ian Martin creates a prototype ‘pup-spa’
Ian Martin proposes the high-speed English Circle Line (ECL)
Ian Martin dables in architectural spread-betting
Ian Martin brainstorms a new collective noun for architects
Ian Martin is nominated for a Looks Nice Award
Ian Martin develops the inhabited windmill
Ian Martin hunts an honour
Ian Martin talks to the animals
Ian Martin calls in Tracey, Banksy, Damien and Grayson to imagine Preston’s Progressive Omnibus Terminus
Ian Martin is full of sparkling Christmas anticipation
Ian Martin develops the inhabited windmill
Ian Martin meets an old friend, architect Fred Trousers
Ian Martin redesigns the BBC
Ian Martin remodels The Entire Notion Of Social Housing
Ian Martin devises some inflatable rhetoric for the mayor of London
I’m 58 years old and standing on a chair…I love a crowd when I don’t know many people. It’s more exciting.
1. Sceptical frown in beanie. 2. Quizzical pout in hard hat. 3. Chuckling at timetable. 4. Conspiratorial whispering in deserted Italian kitchen. 5. Facial paralysis after saying 'gosh'. 6. Squinting at recalcitrant German roof. 7. Caressing seasoned oak beam with faraway gaze. 8. Shimmy of head as 'spontaneous thought' occurs. 9. Sighing, forgetting to breathe in again, passing out. 10. Asking 'but will it...work?' then getting hit in face ...
1. Igloos melting to a poignant soundtrack.2. Menacing Russian cartoon featuring dancing skyscrapers.3. Armed charrette at University of Pennsylvania.4. Wind turbines apparently chatting to each other in Swedish.5. Original World Trade Center under reconstruction in Second Life.6. Man being eaten by interactive carpet.7. Freak weather battering the Scottish coast, then deep-frying it.8. Homeless people dancing for soup in Poundbury.9. Frank Gehry ...
1. The Graphito by Banksy & Banksy.2. Stubby Lines' Doodlebug Pro.3. Suzuki left-handed mechanical in B Minor.4. The Böring Seminar Bullet Point.5. Zaha Stiletto Space Probe 3000.6. Fair Trade natural unpainted cedar pencil with pretend carbon.7. The 2B Hamlet Soliloquy.8. The Blairwrite Memo with sneery, retractable point.9. Tarantino HB 5mm with smooth-barelled fixed eraser and ass-cap popper.10. Wooden stylus dipped in own blood.
1. Clinically Depressed Gothic.2. Defibrillated Constructivism.3. Neo-Semi-Classical.4. High Definition Plasmic Blobulism.5. Retrohyperventilated Freestyle.6. Arts and Crafts and Photoshop.7. Decarbonised Metabolism.8. Fucking Enormous.9. Evangelical Pointyism.10. Butch Colonial
1. Rain-harvesting sombrero.2. The BlackBeret Highbrowser.3. Visor in form of miniature concrete brise-soleil.4. False turban containing 50 Gigabytes of extra memory.5. The Shigeru Ban emergency cardboard cocktail hat.6. Photovoltaic yarmulke.7. Tricorne made from locally-sourced Observer Business & Media section.8. Adobe mudflat deerstalker, with mudflaps.9. The Frank Gehry Biretta 2.0 - 'Designed by computers, irritated with style'.10. ...
1. Garden wormery modelled on the Unité d'Habitation.2. Bamboo-framed 'intelligent' spectacles.3. Weekend minimalist cottage with climate-healing properties.4. Trevor Baylis wind-up slide projector.5. A smirking eco-blog called something like Environmentality, chronicling your whimsical journey through a dictionary of quotations.6. Hydrogen-powered bicycle with unisex handlebars.7. Misconceived concept drawings composter.8. A Brazilian foster-sapling ...
1. CO3. A volatile gas produced by filtering 'carbon dioxide issues' through a windbag.2. Alchitect. A blurred visionary.3. Afforwardable. Type of low-cost housing that is conceived in situ, then permanently deferred.4. 'McCloud'. A forceful sigh, exhaled before conceding that something might just work.5. Platitudinum. Recycled material used as a covering for cultural landmarks.6. ...