Glass Murray Architects, one of the finalists in the Scottish parliament competition, has completed a new building in central Glasgow behind two listed facades. It has provided 6000m2 of lettable office space on the corner of George Square and Hanover Street, site of the MacLaren Warehouse built in 1923 to designs by James Miller. The new structure is concrete- framed, built around load-bearing central cores, to maximise daylight and allow column-free floors spanning 9m to the perimeter walls. Windows were formed in the frieze of the existing building between cornice brackets, and two new set-back floors were created above the seventh floor and the existing facade line. A loggia was created at the base of the building under the first-floor spandrel panels to reduce the original defensive base and increase permeability.
Halcrow Waterman was the structural engineer and K J Tait and Associates the environmental engineer. Coope James and Associates was the quantity surveyor.