By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

FORUM

METALWORKS - WIND SHELTER

The next issue of MetalWorks will be published in The Architects' Journal in March 2007. Each issue will revisit a key building by an established architect, followed by a review of a new project by an up-and-coming practice. If there is a building that makes substantial use of aluminium or steel which you would like to see revisited, please contact james.pallister@emap. com.

To celebrate the relaunch of Metalworks we have created a binder so that readers can archive their copies. To order your free MetalWorks binder please contact angela.newton@emap. com

The twice-yearly publication will be supplemented by a monthly technical newsletter, which will be sent out to AJ subscribers on the last Thursday of every month. As well as news and reviews, this will include answers to readers' technical queries. Questions answered in forthcoming issues include:

Is it better to bolt a steel frame rather than weld it if I want to make future dismantling and reuse easier?

Some roof sheets, which were Colorcoated, got surface damage while being fixed on site. The contractor says that he will 'touch them up'.

What should be done?

We are making two pedestrian bridges about 9m-long for a park. We want to use galvanised steel. Can we fabricate them and dip the whole bridge or should we bolt together galvanised pieces?

Fire protection to the building's steel frame is to be applied in the factory. But there will be some application on site at joints, etc. Will this work the same and look the same?

How does steel differ from iron?

Using timber and steel frames is put forward as a better way to build houses. But, with global warming, will houses need more thermal mass on the inside than such light frames plus insulation can provide? Concrete oors, carpeted, are not going to be enough.

Some years ago, I saw that a London office building had used water-filled columns as part of its fire protection system. I have not heard of any other examples being built since. Is this still considered to be a good idea?

What are the different grades of steel and how are they used?

How does steel corrode and how do I prevent this?

I want to use Corfiten steel on a building. What sort of things should I be aware of when detailing and specifying the material?

Can I specify recycled steel on my building and, if so, where do I get it?

What are steel's sustainability credentials?

How do I address the cold-bridge issue of externally mounted balconies on a steel-framed building?

What are the differences between rolled and fabricated beams and columns, and does this affect their performance?

How does light steel-frame construction address thermal mass issues?

Can I paint over galvanised steel?

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment.

The searchable digital buildings archive with drawings from more than 1,500 projects

AJ newsletters