1956 A small existing village on a windy hill outside Glasgow is designated a New Town, possibly the most signi-cant of Scotland's overflow settlements.
1959 The massive megastructure in the town centre begins on site under the watchful eye of Modernist Geoffrey Copcutt. It will become Europe's first covered retailfiled town centre.
1967 The centre's first phase completes to architectural acclaim. Unfortunately the following phases that will 'make it complete' never really get off the ground.